Technology is a powerful enabler for people with disabilities. With the help of assistive technology (AT), many had been able to overcome their day-to-day challenges and become fully-integrated into all aspects of community living. We advocate the use of AT through our Specialised Assistive Technology Centre (Specialised ATC) which provides the following services:
- AT assessment (download our Referral Form)
- Training on use of AT devices (look out for training courses periodically conducted by the Specialised ATC in SPD Events)
- Trial/Loan of Devices from AT Loan Library
- Onsite Assessment: e.g. School/Workplace/Home
- Technical support (virtual or in-person; please contact us for more information)
- Sales co-ordination support for AT devices (please contact us for more information)
- Prescription of suitable AT devices and Assistive Technology Fund application (where applicable)
- Inclusive Technology Portal updates
The Assistive Technology Centre was established by SPD in August 2001 and was later appointed by the National Council of Social Service as the Specialised Assistive Technology Centre in January 2005. It was appointed as the Centre of Specialisation for Assistive Technology in August 2009 and March 2011. With this appointment, the Specialised ATC was recognised as an AT expert that would conduct practice-related training to build capability in AT and provide advice, consultations and coaching sessions to serve people across all disabilities.
Digital resource – Introduction to AAC
Communication is an important part of our everyday lives. For individuals with developmental delays (e.g. autism, cerebral palsy) or an acquired disability (e.g. aphasia, stroke) communication through speech may be difficult or insufficient.
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) plays an important role for such individuals as it can provide a way for effective sharing of thoughts and ideas. Complete this form to receive a downloadable document on an introduction on AAC.
The Specialised ATC is open from Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 5.30pm.
Specialised Assistive Technology Centre
20 Lengkok Bahru, #01-06
Tech Able, Enabling Village
Consultation is by appointment only. Assessment and training fees apply. To request a therapist appointment to assess your assistive technology needs, download the Referral Form. Please submit the completed form to us here. You will be contacted to arrange an appointment.
For more information and booking of appointment, please contact us here.