SPD Education Programme 2016 - Speech by Mr Ashish Anupam | SPD - Singapore
SPD Education Programme 2016 - Speech by Mr Ashish Anupam
Ms Grace Fu
Minister for Culture, Community and Youth &
Leader of the House
Ms Chia Yong Yong
President of SPD
Parents & Students
Ladies and Gentlemen
1. A very good morning. It gives me great pleasure to be with you today.
2. NatSteel is honoured to sponsor the SPD Education Programme Bursary Award for the 8th year running. It is our privilege to partner SPD in making a strong and sustained contribution to the community.
3. One of the key beliefs that drives the way Tata companies operate for over 140 years is that, “The community is not just another stakeholder in business, but is in fact the very purpose of its existence.”
4. This statement continues to be the corporate philosophy for NatSteel today. We are proud to have played an instrumental part in Singapore's nation building for the past 50 years. Just to share an interesting fact, about one in two buildings in Singapore are made from our steel! NatSteel’s goal is to produce steel in the most productive, energy-saving and environmentally friendly way through recycling scrap, and we hope to be a showcase that Singapore can be proud of.
5. Going beyond business, we also endeavour to strengthen the social fabric through promoting community involvement. Our connection with SPD is one such example, and it has grown from strength to strength over the years. We are deeply appreciative to SPD for allowing us, at NatSteel, to volunteer on a regular basis. This partnership has enabled us to promote a culture of volunteerism and selfless giving, as well as cohesiveness and teamwork within NatSteel.
6. Also, education is the way forward to strengthening the foundations for our youth, and we are glad to be able to contribute. Since 2007, NatSteel has contributed over S$580,000 and handed out more than 700 bursary awards. This is an important pillar in SPD’s education programme. By alleviating the financial burdens of needy families and their children, the students can then focus on achieving academic excellence as they pursue their education in mainstream schools.
8. NatSteel is also proud to sponsor the SPD Youth Aspiration Awards, which recognises youths for their non-academic achievements and passion to realise their ambitions. This year, we have four recipients. Their stories and accomplishments are a testament to how each and every single one of us can take action towards fulfilling their dreams.
9. Let me end with a quote from the Tata group’s founder, Mr Jamsetji Tata, "What advances a nation or a community is to lift up the best and the most gifted, so as to make them of the greatest service to the country."
9. My heartiest congratulations once again to all award recipients. You have done your friends and family proud and I wish you all the best in your pursuit for excellence.
10. Thank you and have a great day ahead.